Health Savings Account (HSA) Debit Card
ANB Bank's free HSA Debit Card is tied directly to your ANB Bank Health Savings Account. There is no set-up fee for the card, and you can use it for qualified medical expenses.
What is a Health Savings Account?
A Health Savings Account (HSA) is an account that you can put money into to save for future medical expenses. There are certain advantages to putting money into these accounts, including favorable tax treatment.
Who Can Have an HSA?
Any adult can contribute to an HSA if they:
- Are covered under an HSA-qualified “high deductible health plan.”
- Have no other first-dollar medical coverage (other types of insurance like specific injury insurance or accident, disability, dental care, vision care, or long-term care insurance are permitted).
- Are not enrolled in Medicare.
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.
Contributions to your HSA can be made by you, your employer, or both. However, the total contributions are limited annually. If you make a contribution, you can deduct the contributions (even if you do not itemize deductions) when completing your federal income tax return.
Contributions to the account must stop once you are enrolled in Medicare. However, you can keep the money in your account and use it to pay for medical expenses tax-free.
You must have coverage under an HSA-qualified “high deductible health plan” (HDHP) to open and contribute to an HSA. Generally, this is health insurance that does not cover first dollar medical expenses. Health insurance deductible must be at least:
- $1,400* – Self-only coverage
- $2,800* – Family coverage
In addition, annual out-of-pocket expenses under the plan (including deductibles, co-pays, and co-insurance) cannot exceed:
- $6,900* – Self-only coverage
- $13,800* – Family coverage
Need More Information about HSAs?
Treasury’s web site has additional information about Health Savings Accounts, including answers to frequently asked questions, related IRS forms and publications, technical guidance, and links to other helpful websites. Treasury’s HSA website can be found through www.treasury.gov (search for “HSA”).
*2020 amounts; adjusted annually for inflation.